A new year has dawned and I’m up early thinking about an ancient psalm I have been meditating on for several weeks. The author is unknown but the words keep rising up in my soul:
"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever." (Psalm 107:1 NIV)
Images of four types of people depicted in this psalm unfold in my mind as I write this and I am thankful for I can see how I was once one of those people.
- Wanderers in Desert Wastelands
- Sitters in Darkness and Deepest Gloom imprisoned in iron chains of suffering.
- People Who Became Fools Through Their Rebellious Ways
- Self-Confident, Successful and Wealthy People who thought they were in control of their lives and lose their courage when facing peril.
The world offers plenty of desert wastelands that appear to fill the hole in one’s heart that only God can fill. God can break the iron chains of suffering that sometimes bind our lives. God can help us overcome the wrong choices we knowingly make. God can help us find the courage to face the loss of wealth, employment, fame or anything that we have rooted our lives on. He is the true foundation that gives strength in adversity. There is only one requirement ~ to surrender one’s pride and cry out to God for help.
As you reflect on your life, what are you thankful for? Here’s my list:
- I am thankful that God is my strength and always present in my life.
- I am thankful for the prayers and encouragement of friends and family.
- I am thankful for the unexplainable deep love and friendship my husband and I share now.
- I am thankful for situations that have made me more patient and persevering this past year.
- I am thankful that bit by bit I am achieving goals I have set to be healthier.
- I am thankful that every adversity I have faced has become a gift in my life that helps me reach out to others with genuine love and understanding.
- I am thankful to be able to blog my thoughts and poetry and for the comments I have received.
This New Year instead of making another resolution, seek the one who gives living waters that resolves the issues of our soul and life. Wishing you all the best life can bring you in this New Year!